IIT Institute of Design (ID) is committed to cultivating a global perspective. We welcome applicants from all over the world for our graduate design programs. Typically about half our Master of Design, (MDes) class is made up of international students, and our alumni go on to be global design leaders.
Our MDes and MDes + MBA degree programs qualify as STEM degrees, which allows international students to apply for a 24-month extension to the typical 12-month optional practical training (OPT) period. This means students completing this degree may be eligible for up to three years of work in the US. Please see the US government’s website for more information.
Please review the following information regarding guidelines and requirements for international applicants.
|Financial Support Documents
Passport Identity Page
School Transfer Form
|Transcripts and Mark Sheets:
All Other Countries
Financial Support Documents
After being notified of admission, you should submit your financial support documents. However, an I-20 cannot be issued to any admitted student until the IIT Institute of Design Office of Graduate Admission has received and approved your support documents. For this reason, we encourage you to submit them as early as possible.
When completing ID’s Financial Affidavit of Support Form, please read all instructions carefully to ensure that you have completed each required section of the form. Submission of this form is not required for review of your application.
Passport Identity Page
While a copy of your passport identity page is not required for your application, you are strongly encouraged to submit it prior to admission for efficient processing of your I-20.
School Transfer Form
If you are an international student currently studying on an F-1 visa and intend to transfer to ID from another institution in the United States, you must submit a School Transfer Form to release your I-20 by your current institution, permitting ID to create a new I-20 for you. This form should be submitted only after you have been officially admitted to ID.
The table below details the credentials accepted for admission. Depending on your country of origin, we may require an official transcript evaluation from an independent organization like WES. This is noted in the column on the right. Please note that three-year degrees or diplomas, not issued in the United Kingdom or as part of the Bologna process, must be submitted with a completed master’s program or top-up bachelor’s degree program transcript.
|Country||Minimum Level Required||Evaluation Required?|
|Australia||Four-year bachelor’s degree in any field; three-year bachelor’s degrees must be accompanied by a two-year master’s degree||No|
|Canada||Quebec: three-year bachelor’s degree; All other provinces: four-year bachelor’s degree||No|
|China||Four-year university degree||No|
|France||Diplome d’Ingenier from Grandes Ecoles; Maitrise from universities||No|
|Germany||Diplom, Magister Artium, or staatsexamen; three-year Bologna Bachelor’s degree||Yes|
|Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone||Four-year university degree; Pre-2000s: three-year bachelor’s degree after GCE A-Levels||No|
|India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal||Four-year bachelor’s degree in any field; three-year bachelor’s degrees must be accompanied by a two-year master’s degree. (Note: profession qualifications and postgraduate diplomas completed after a bachelor’s degree are not considered sufficient for admission.)||No|
|Latin America||Four-year university degree||No|
|Middle East||Four-year university degree||No|
|New Zealand||Four-year bachelor’s degree (Honours); three-year bachelor’s degrees must be topped off by a two-year master’s degree or one year of additional study for the award of the bachelor’s degree (Honours).||No|
|Other Asian Countries||Four-year university degree||No|
|Other European Countries||Four-year university degree or three-year Bologna Bachelor’s degree||Yes|
|Philippines||Four-year university degree||No|
|Russian Republics||Four-year university degree or three-year Bologna Bachelor’s degree||No|
|United Kingdom||Four-year university degree||No|
Requirements for Transcripts From Institutions in China
You must present the original academic transcripts, and graduation and degree certificates with the stamp or seal of the university on each page. Transcripts must be submitted in the original language and in English. Translations must come from the institution or from a professional translation service.
If the degree is completed, you MUST upload your original degree certificate or provisional certificate along with your academic transcripts or mark sheets in both languages through the online Application Portal.
Requirements for Mark Sheets From Institutions in India
- You must provide your original individual mark sheets from each institution from which you have earned or will earn a degree.
- If you have received a three-year degree, or are part of a sandwich program, you must provide any and all mark sheets from your pre-diploma courses or masters; three-year degrees by themselves are not considered adequate for graduate admission.
- Postgraduate diplomas or professional programs completed after a three-year bachelor’s degree are also considered insufficient for admission purposes.
- A master’s degree, or AIU-deemed master’s equivalent diploma, in addition to the three-year bachelor’s programs, are the minimum requirement for access to IIT graduate programs.
- All mark sheets must contain all marks for all attempts at each examination. Any failures must be shown.
Consolidated transcripts cannot be accepted. If the statements of marks include abbreviated paper titles, or numbered papers without titles, please provide complete course titles. Please note we require a minimum of the first six semesters for admission consideration. Exceptions for consolidated transcripts are for any Indian Institute of Technology institution and Anna University.
If the degree is completed, please provide your original degree certificate or provisional certificate along with your mark sheets.
Requirements for Transcripts From Institutions in Iran
- Original, official transcripts and degree certificates in Farsi, stamped and signed by the issuing institution and accompanied by word-for-word English translations, must be provided.
- Translations must be made by a professional translator, but may be stamped by the Ministry of Education. For English translation services we recommend ATA Translator. If your original transcripts are issued by the institution in English a corresponding Farsi version is not required.
Requirements for Transcripts From Institutions in Pakistan
- You must provide your original individual mark sheets or transcripts from all institutions attended and must contain all marks for each attempt at each examination. Any failures must be shown; consolidated transcripts cannot be accepted. If the statements of marks include abbreviated paper titles, or numbered papers without titles, please provide complete course titles.
- If the degree is completed you must provide your original degree certificate or provisional certificate along with your mark sheets. For any documents in the original language (non-English) please include a professional English translation. For English translation services we recommend ATA Translator.
Requirements for Transcripts From Institutions in All Other Countries
Official, original transcripts issued by your institution must be provided. All graduation certificates or diplomas issued in original language or English by the institutions attended must be provided along with your transcripts.
For any documents in the original language (non-English) please include a professional English translation. For English translation services we recommend ATA Translator.
Please note: Illinois Institute of Technology reserves the right to rescind any offer of admission if any discrepancies are found with your official transcript(s).
Professional evaluations are required for credentials from the following countries (students from IIT partner schools are exempt from this requirement): Afghanistan, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, French West Africa, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Macedonia, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, South America, Spain, Switzerland, Yemen.
Spring 2020 admission
November 1, 2019
Fall 2020 admission
January 17, 2020 (early round)
February 28, 2020 (final round)
If you still have a question about applying as an international student, please email our staff at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit our FAQ page for more information.