Visa Instructions for International Students

The Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) requires that all F-1 and J-1 students show proof of financial support for their first year of each program of university study in the United States. In order to meet this requirement, all applicants who need a visa to enter or stay in the United States must submit the following documents in .pdf form to

  1. A Financial Affidavit form (download here) signed by the student and personal sponsors
  2. Proof of support documents (bank statement or award letters)
  3. Copy of passport (identification page)

In computing your expenses, you should bear in mind that Student (F) or Exchange (J) visa holders are not authorized to work off campus as a means of support during their first two consecutive semesters at the Institute of Design.

A form I-20 or DS-2019 (for the issuance of a visa) cannot be issued to you until you have been admitted to the Institute of Design, paid the tuition deposit, and submitted the documentation above.

Please note, you are likely to need original copies of all documentation when applying for a visa with the United States Consulate or Embassy. We suggest, therefore, that you request two copies of each official document and keep one for yourself.

Learn more about Fellowships + Financial Aid