Explores the methods and techniques to guide teams to desired outcomes in ways that build alignment, engagement, and momentum.
Facilitation is the unspoken, untaught skill that can make all the difference in your ability to lead others through routine, as well as more complex, adaptive challenges. In this class, you will become a more adept, agile and attuned facilitator through hands-on practice and exposure to facilitation principles, processes, and techniques.
This course will teach students to be more agile and confident facilitators in a variety of settings and contexts.
At the conclusion of the course, students will be able to:
- Leverage their personal thinking style as facilitators
- Experience and practice the key principles of engaging facilitation
- Optimize the levers of success: space, energy, time, content, client engagement
- Design and lead facilitated experiences using different tools and approaches
- Practice with their own Field Notes - a compilation of learnings, self-reflection, tools, and techniques
Format & Grading
Each class has a mix of content and hands-on practice. This class will be small so that each student has several opportunities to practice being a client and facilitator.
- Class Participation - 33%
- Facilitation Practice/Feedback - 33%
- Field Notes and Reflections - 33%
No prerequisites. This course is open to all Institute of Design students.