Master of Design + MBA
Master of Design + MBA Program Overview
The IIT Institute of Design (ID) Master of Design + Master of Business Administration (MDes + MBA) program combines a user-centered, method-based approach with core management education. That makes this program ideal for professionals who aspire to lead collaborative, interdisciplinary innovation initiatives within global organizations. In this unique program, MDes + MBA students pursue two graduate degrees simultaneously, one with ID and one with IIT Stuart School of Business.
Founded on the belief that design connects and enhances every aspect of life, ID is dedicated to preparing students to effectively address dynamic and complex business, civic, and social challenges with rigor, depth, and imagination. Our MDes + MBA program curriculum gives students the real-world skills needed to integrate, interconnect, and innovate beyond the current practices of design.
ID students are taught to shape compelling opportunities through actively developing insight from multiple perspectives, exploring options through aggressive prototyping and critique, and identifying valuable directions that prompt action and support resilient change. Students learn through hands-on projects and real-world challenges, both individually and in team collaborations.
Students with no formal design training are also encouraged to apply, as our Foundation program provides prerequisite skills and experience.
STEM Qualification for International Students
The MDes + MBA degree qualifies as a STEM degree which allows international students to apply for a 24-month extension to the typical 12-month optional practical training (OPT) period. This means students completing this degree may be eligible for up to three years of work in the US. Please see the US government website for more information.
Curriculum + Courses
- The MDes is a two-year, 54-credit-hour degree program.
- Customizable study: Over 80% of the courses in the program are electives (seminars and workshops).
- Core course modules include Insight Development, Human Advocacy, Prototyping, Critique, Systems Thinking, and Adaptive Leadership.
- Concentration modules include Stakeholder Research, Communication Design, Design Futures, Policy Systems, Interaction Design, Service Design, Product Design, Systems Thinking, Business Innovation, Design Management, and Collaborative Design.
- 4 semesters, including summer sessions, depending on MBA scheduling (one semester additional with the Foundation program, the MBA can be taken in parallel).
- 42 credit hours for Institute of Design (15 credit hours additional if student is required to take the Design Foundation program).
- 36 credit hours for IIT Stuart School of Business.
- Full-time residency is required.
Learn more about Fellowships + Financial Aid
|Tuition (2018-2019 rate)||$59,350*||per year|
|Student fees, books, and supplies||$1,200*||per year|
|Living expenses (room & board)||$6,750*||per semester|
|Health insurance||$1,499||per year|
Life + Career After ID
ID graduates have a greater than 90 percent placement rate and report high job satisfaction.
Our career services include structured programs like recruitID and careerID, as well as an active and engaged alumni network and robust events and programming, including our annual Design Intersections conference.
Our partnerships with organizations across Chicago and beyond give ID students a range of experience, building their resumes even before graduation.
ID graduates hold positions of influence in companies and design firms such as:
Amazon / Apple / BCG / Doblin / EY / Fjord / Google / IDEO / INSITUM / Logitech / McDonald’s / McKinsey / Motorola / Microsoft / Salesforce / SapientRazorfish / SC Johnson / Steelcase / Verizon
Organizations hire ID graduates for a wide range of roles:
Design Planner / Design Strategist / Senior Innovation Strategist / Director of Product Development / Director of Innovation Methods / Director of User Research / Brand Strategist / Director of Interaction Design / Senior Information Architect / Director of Strategy and New Business Development / Digital Enterprise Strategist / Director of Experience Design / Senior UX Researcher and Strategist
Click here for complete information on application requirements
February 28, 2020 (final round)
Meet with staff and faculty online—join our webinar on November 6 to learn more about our graduate programs.