Strategies for Open Innovation
Systems & Innovation
Design tactics and strategies for integrating knowledge distributed across multiple domains.
This course teaches design tactics and strategies for integrating knowledge distributed across multiple domains. Open innovation systems, which consist of a productive capacity to design complex solutions by incorporating large quantities of relevant knowledge distributed across large networks of people has become a dominant process in developing designs that shape contemporary human experiences. This course is for students who are interested in leading and facilitating multi-disciplinary collaborative projects using design as know-how to innovate. Students will learn design tactics and strategies for knowledge brokering through tutorials, examples, practical activities, and simulations. Students will develop the competence of knowledge brokering to transform information into ideas with economic, social, cultural, territorial, and environmental value.
In this course, participants will learn…
- The fundamental principles that shape design strategies in open innovation systems
- To plan and manage collaborative design practices
- How to allocate design capabilities for increasing productivity in large-scale collaborations
- How to assess productivity in open innovation dynamics
- Design strategies for effectively leading open innovation processes
By the end of this course, participants will be able to…
- Strategically plan when and how to deploy design capabilities in large-scale co-creation projects
- Facilitate sophisticated knowledge brokering and ideation activities
- Know how to respond and adjust to new developments in open-ended processes of discovery and innovation • Improve productivity in multi-disciplinary team dynamics
- Effectively manage ideation flows when knowledge is distributed across large networks of individuals and organizations
Format and Grading
- Planner Template 10%
- Plan 20%
- Documentation 10%
- Report 40%
- Class Participation 20%
No prerequisites. This course is open to all Institute of Design students.